Saturday, July 14, 2012

Sausage and Green Bean Saffrito

I don't know about you but One Skillet Meals are so appealing! One skillet....you mean only one pan to wash?? Amazing! I have to admit sometimes you have no choice but to use 2 pans for pasta or rice but we will pretend like that doesn't happen!
My grandma (Nana) taught me a recipe from Puerto rico where she is from and it starts with Saffrito. Its a mixture of garlic, onion, green or red pepper and cilantro. You put it in a food processor, blender, whatever it is that you have. It comes out looking like a black mess but its deliciously tasty. She told me to freeze it in blocks and use it whenever I had a recipe that needed some flavor.
So here is what I made tonight:
Sausage and green bean saffrito
Saffrito
Smoked sausage (beef, pork, turkey)
Green Beans (I used fresh but frozen are ok too)
Olive Oil
Basmati Rice ( Or any kind you like)
Cook the Rice. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the saffrito until it isn't frozen anymore. Chop the sausage in to quarter sized pieces and throw them in the skillet. If using fresh green beans trim the ends. When the sausage is slightly brown throw the green beans in for just a couple minutes. Then add the cooked rice to it and mix around so the saffrito covers everything. Cook on low till its warm and serve. This took 20 minutes! That's my kind of meal!


1 comment:

I enjoy reading your comments:)