Sunday, May 20, 2012

Cash System

I have been following Money Saving Mom for about a year now and have learned many things.  I was raised in a household where my mom was a money saver and my dad was a money spender.  Being a money spender always seemed like more fun.  I started reading her blog and many others and couldn't get enough information about all the different tricks to saving money, I was a sponge.  We used to spend 600 dollars a month on groceries.  I never used to think it was a big deal, my thoughts were always isn't everyone else spending that much? The answer was a definite NO!  After watching the show Extreme Couponing I decided that was what I was going to do.  Many months later when I wasn't saving 90% every time I went to the store I came to the realization that Extreme Couponing wasn't reality.  I realized the average person that coupons saves 30% to 50%, sometimes even less.  There aren't always deals to match with coupons and there aren't always coupons for the things we need.  Even as an adult it seems we are always learning.

When I read about Dave Ramsey and his envelope system I thought it was crazy and that it wouldn't work for us.  We live out in the country where things aren't exactly convenient.  I kept telling myself to use cash for groceries but always ended up using my debit card.  I always thought as long as I stayed on budget and used my debit card it wouldn't be a big deal.  Truth is every time I went I ended up spending a little more than planned because I saw a good deal on something.  Today for the first time I used only cash and ended up 3 dollars under budget, I've gotta start somewhere right?  I plan on continuing to use cash for groceries and maybe eventually branching out to other bills.  I have learned that every household is different and just because someone does something one way does not mean it will work for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments:)