Monday, May 28, 2012

Fideo

When I was a little girl most of my summers were spent with my grandparents.  My Dad's parents divorced a long time ago and my grandpa (also known as Tata) remarried my Nana.  She is one of the most loving, caring people I know.  She came here from Puerto Rico so as I was growing up learning to speak, she was learning to speak English.  There were many things we used to do together but the one that we did the most was EAT and EAT and EAT!  No wonder I have such a love for food!!  One of my favorite dishes she ever made was Sopa (also known as Fideo).  She gave me the recipe years ago and I have kind of tweaked it to make it my own.  It is a side dish that everyone will love and its great for potlucks.




Fideo

2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
7 oz package of fideo noodles
8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
1 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp. of pepper
1/2 tsp. of cumin
1/4 tsp. of oregano
1/4 cup of chopped onion, or 1 Tbsp dried onion
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced or 2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. of fresh or dried cilantro
1 tsp. of chili powder

In a skillet heat the vegetable oil on medium for about 2 minutes.  Add the fideo noodles and mix them around until they are golden brown, be careful that they don't burn. I usually add the onion and garlic right before they are done. The other spices can go in at the same time or after the liquid.  When they are golden add the tomato sauce and chicken broth. Bring to a slow boil then turn down to low and simmer until the liquid is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments:)