Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Recipe Tuesday: Crock Pot Black Bean Chili

This chili was so good we ate it for a week straight without getting sick of it! 

Crock Pot Black Bean Chili

1 pound dried black beans
28 oz can of diced tomatoes
2 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1-2 Cups water-eyeball it, make sure the liquid covers the beans
1 garlic clove
1/4 jalapeno
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Cumin
*I added some already cooked chicken-this is optional


The night before soak your beans.  They are really dirty and need this! 

In the morning rinse them and add them to a greased crock pot.  Add the tomatoes, chicken broth and water.  I was lazy so I didn't cut up the garlic or jalapeno. You can just put them in whole and take them out when it is done.  The onion I had already chopped up that was easy, you will need to chop them up or just use a lot of onion powder.  Whatever works for you.  Add the garlic, jalapeno, onion and spices.  Mix them up and cook on low for 10 hours.  I promise you will not be disappointed.

This was so easy and I think the 10 hours really helped the flavors.

This makes about 8 servings.  Your can eat it all week or freeze it.


1 comment:

  1. Analisa - I am still not on top of how to make dishes like this work in my crock pot - either they turn out to be too bland or too spicy - can't seem to find a happy medium yet. Hope things are going well for you. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments:)