Sunday, November 11, 2012

The 5 Reasons I Stay Off of Facebook!

When I joined Facebook in 2009 I never knew how much it would affect my life.  At first it was exciting to be able to catch up with people you haven't seen in years, to see their every day lives and to share pictures of my own life.  For years I became addicted to other people's lives.  I became annoyed with some of them, happy for them, sad for them, mad for them, you name it I was right there with them.  There were many discussions of politics, religion, family, motherhood, partying, and anything else you can think of. When I discovered the world of blogging it was so helpful to have them all in one place, to see the daily deals and coupons.  It was even helpful to have the news in one place.  It was even great to be notified of birthdays constantly.  I could go on and on about the positive parts of Facebook but one day I woke up and deleted my Facebook.  I will admit it was difficult and there have been many things that I have missed since then but guess what I DON'T CARE!

There are probably more than 5 reasons why staying on Facebook is good but here are the 5 reasons I stay off of Facebook:

5. I worry about my own life!  Yes catching up and keeping track of weddings and babies is great but it takes the focus off of what is important.  My real life relationships with people!  I know some people can do both but I couldn't and recognized that!

4.  I don't spend so much money!  I know this sounds funny, even to me.  Spend money on Facebook?? How?? You might say.  Those blogs that I love so much were constantly posting great deals and coupons.  When I saw a great deal I would buy it!   I can say that some of those deals were worth it but some were not!  I always talked myself into needing something because it was a deal.  Now I buy what I need, not what I think I need.

3.  No more news!  Yes Facebook is where I first saw that they got Osama Bin Laden, and many other news stories but face it the news these days contains sad stories.  I cannot remember the last time I saw a news story about something happy!

2. People no longer know my business and pretend to care about it.  I am an emotional person and have on more than one occasion posted very personal things.  I regret it but sure can't take it back.  When we lost our son people were constantly writing me on Facebook telling me how sorry they were and asking if they could help.  This was wonderful but it became very overwhelming in a time that all I needed was my family and some alone time.  I mean for weeks people would not leave me alone.  I really did appreciate it all but it was too much.  Now I tell it to myself lol That's not the same but it keeps my business away from hundreds of people.  Sometimes people forget just how many people can see your whole life on Facebook!

1. I can get stuff done!!  This is the best one yet!  I actually get off of my butt and get things done around the house.  I admit I was such a Facebook addict I spent hours a day on it even if nothing was happening.  I have tackled projects that have been put off for a year!

I thought for sure I would miss it but really don't.  I miss all the blogs I had and their daily posts but that's why I have email.  I can subscribe to them and read them when I feel like it!  It's almost like I feel free.  That may sound funny to some of you but it is a huge relief to get rid of one addiction.  People joke about it but it really is!  Times have really changed and technology is relied on for EVERYTHING!  It is nice to get back to the real world and remember that a face to face conversation with someone means more than any Internet conversation!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments:)